The Gothic-designed Belmont Chapel, conceived by George C. Mason & Son Architects was built by William Gosling in 1886. No wood is used in any part of the building except for the roof, domes, and staff heads holding the window sashes. The exterior is built of a rich, warm, reddish-brown sandstone from the Carlisle quarries of Springfield, MA. The stone was laid up rock faced and random squared. The porch and bell stage tower is of stone inside and out.
THE BELMONT FAMILY
August Belmont Sr. emigrated to the United States in 1837 and married Caroline Sidell Perry in 1849. Together they had six children. The Belmont's commissioned the chapel as a memorial to their daughter Jane Pauline Belmont who died at the young age of 19. Given as a gift, the chapel’s original purpose was to serve as a site to hold committal services for those being buried at the Island Cemetery.